Looking for a SDAB decision?
The Calgary SDAB is pleased to announce that decisions from 2009 to present are available through CanLII. CanLII is a non-profit organization managed by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. CanLII's goal is to make Canadian law accessible for free on the Internet. CanLII's website provides access to court judgements, tribunal decisions, statutes and regulations from all Canadian jurisdictions.
Click here or click on the CanLII logo to access the CanLII SDAB decision search.
To keep updated on recent SDAB decisions, you can subscribe to the SDAB decision RSS feed at CanLII.
Legacy search engine
Another option is to search the Board's written decisions through the Board's decision search system below, which contains decisions from the year 2000 to present. Data from 1999 is contained within this search system; however, the written decisions are not available on-line. The decisions are displayed using Adobe Acrobat.
The information contained within this site is provided for reference purposes only. The SDAB is not bound by past decisions as each appeal is unique and evaluated on its own merits. You should exercise caution when reviewing past decisions and making generalized conclusions. However, past decisions may be useful in understanding the factors the Board considers when rendering its decision.
To search for information, click on the SDAB Legacy Search button below to open the search panel, enter data into one or more of the search criteria fields, and then press 'Submit'. See some field definitions and some helpful hints on how to complete a search. Pressing the 'Reset' button will clear the form for a new search.
Questions about this searchable database may be directed to the SDAB office at 403-268-5312.
- You can enter a partial address (for example, just the street name), and the search will list all decisions with an address on that street.
- If you leave out the apartment number, all apartments will be listed for the chosen address.
- You can select a quadrant, with no other address fields entered, to narrow your search to a single quadrant of the city.
The information contained herein is intended for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. For legislative certainty, you should consult the Municipal Government Act and other related statutes and regulations.
- SDAB Number:
- This is a sequential number that is assigned to each SDAB appeal. It also defines the year in which the appeal was received, for example, SDAB 2001-0001 was received in 2001.
- DP Number:
- This is a sequential number that is assigned to each Development Permit (DP) application. It also defines the year in which the DP was received, for example, DP2002-0001 was received in 2002.
- Appeal Type:
- Relates to the type of application that is under appeal. There are three classifications of appeals:
- Development Permit - an appeal may be filed on an approval, conditions of approval or refusal of a development permit.
- Subdivision Application - an appeal may be filed on a refusal or conditions of approval of a subdivision application.
- Order - refers to an Order issued by The City of Calgary Development Authority to cease an activity or to remove or modify something that is not in compliance with the Land Use Bylaw.
- Description Keywords:
- Commonly referenced words contained in the development permit application description.
- You can enter any word or phrase here and the database will search the development permit application description for the word or phrase.
- The address of the property under appeal. Click on the hints button for tips on using this search field.
- The community in which the appeal is located.
- The ward in which the appeal is located.
- Hearing/Decision Date:
- Refers to the date the appeal was heard by the SDAB. To narrow the search, you can enter a start date, an end date, or both.